According to Commercial Integrator’s 2018 State of the Industry report, hiring and retaining talent is the top challenge for system integrators. The three most difficult roles to fill are:
- Systems Design/Engineering/Programming (38.9%)
- Technician/Installer (30.5%)
- Sales (18.5%)
In discussions with business leaders at a variety of industry conferences this year, the recruiting challenge tops the charts.
As we observe Veteran’s Day and honor those who have served our country, it is a great time to consider the potential talent pool in this community.
The United States Department of Defense (DoD) estimates that the rate of service members leaving the military will remain high through 2019. According to a recent study*, an estimated 230,000-245,000 enlisted service members and military officers separate from the military each year and return to civilian life. This provides a valuable and historically under-utilized talent pool for system integrators across the country.
There are several important reasons for hiring veterans highlighted by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs, including:
- Leadership and teamwork skills – Veterans have usually led others and have taken direction as part of a team.
- Discipline – Veterans are conditioned to follow established procedures.
- Work-ethic – Dependability and work-ethic are two cornerstone traits that military service demands.
- Occupational skills and technical expertise – Many veterans have already proven themselves in specific positions and situations that could directly translate to your organization.
- Decision-making in a dynamic environment – Veterans are used to making on-the-spot decisions in various settings.
- Effectiveness – Military service requires you to “get the job done,” and veterans can bring that commitment to efficient, productive work to your workplace.
- Resiliency – Veterans are accustomed to working in ever-changing environments and have likely traveled and relocated frequently.
- Loyalty – Commitment to the organization and dedication are two qualities that veterans often bring to the companies that hire them.
This Veterans’ Day, the entire team at System Surveyor would like to thank our U.S. military veterans for their service and sacrifice to our company. While the holiday is a reminder of how important veterans are to our nation’s workforce, it is vital that we all continue to advance year-round hiring initiatives. This is especially true in the system integration industry, where their skills and experience can make an immediate impact on an organization. Check out the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation’s Hiring our Heroes for more information.
*Watson Brown Study: https://watson.brown.edu/costsofwar/files/cow/imce/papers/2017/Zogas_Veterans%27%20Transitions_CoW_2.1.17.pdf